Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Like Dirt

Like Dirt is the new title for my collaborative work with choreographer Rachel Cohen and sculptor Patty Rosenblatt. For some time, Rachel and I have been combining movement, live music and clay in a series of pieces that blur the lines between dance, sculptural installation and musical performance. Like Dirt is our latest venture into this world.

The Secret Theatre in Long Island City (easily accessible via the 7, E, V and G trains) will be the venue for one open rehearsal (February 21) and two performances (February 23 and 24). I will be posting times for these events soon.

The music for Like Dirt will be performed live by myself on laptop computer and three incredible musicians. I'm really REALLY blessed to have these three on board for this adventure. My good friend Lynn Wright will be playing electric guitar. Lewis 'Flip' Barnes will be playing trumpet. Our series of shows as the Barnes, Becker and Wright trio have resulted in our becoming a powerful ensemble. Joining us will be vocalist composer Helga Davis who I first heard via the band Women In Love. Later, I discovered the breadth of her musical and artistic vision by way of an online archived interview with her (David Garland is the interviewer). To my delight, she immediately expressed interest in working on this project when I contacted her and so...here we go. LIKE DIRT.

I will be posting much more information about this production in the coming weeks. Hope you can make it out!

Special thanks to Steve Smith for adding a link to this blog on his Night After Night blog.

No comments: