Monday, January 4, 2010

...a volcano in yuh head!



Jelly Dub (mix in progress)


"Jelly" as in...um...I am still trying to decide on a title for this mix in progress, and I was listening to Jelly Roll Morton this evening. This mix is part of a series of collaborative studio composed sketches inspired by dub music and features Jeremiah Hosea on the bass.

2010 will not be boring. On the blog front, please stay tuned for another triptych of interviews with writers, musicians, and visual artists who have inspired me of late. If you enjoyed the posted interviews I've done with Ned Sublette, Matana Roberts, and Douglas Henderson, I guarantee you will find the next round just as stimulating. More details to come.



March 1, 2010, Parlour Games (choreography by Tze Chun) will be presented as a work-in-progress here in NYC at The Flea Theater in Tribeca (41 White Street btwn Broadway & Church). Our initial performances of the work at The Tank were very well received, and Tze is now working on an evening length site-specific version. My score for Parlour Games is for piano - some of it composed, some of it improvised, and some of it chopped up and collaged to create dream/nightmare like textures - and features performances by Daniel Kelly and Pedro Tsividis.

In addition to Tze's wonderful company, working with Daniel and Pedro has been a pleasure as they each bring such unique concepts and technique to the piano - an instrument I wrestled with as a composition major many (?) years ago.

And I'm continuing work on my guitar quintet (four guitars, electric or acoustic, and one bass, electric or acoustic). The guitar is an instrument I'd like to come to grips with at some point in my lifetime and the guitar ensemble is a mode of expression that I believe is still very ripe for development by non-guitar playing composers (God bless the guitarists who play our stuff!).

Some pieces you write very quickly and then move on. Others simmer for long periods of time and are the better for it. It's a weird process and I don't pretend to understand it.

Much more soon...

No comments: