Friday, November 21, 2008

Delta



Finished my first piece for classical guitar last weekend. It's called Delta. Three movements, maybe 11 minutes total. It's now in the hands of my friend Dan Sumner who will premier it January 10th in a concert presented by the Bloomington Classical Guitar Society. I'm sure the score is going to go through some more editing over the next couple months. Working with collaboratively with guitarist while composing for that instrument is incredibly helpful. It's a tough instrument to write for.

Part of the fun in composing Delta has been discovering great contemporary classical guitar literature and knowing I've only scratched the surface of what is out there. If anyone can recommend composers and works I should check out for classical guitar either by itself or in an ensemble (particularly if there is a vocalist), please let me know.

As the piece gets edited I may post some excerpts online.

No comments: