Monday, January 2, 2012

Experimental electronic music showcase at SuperHappyFunLand

Flyer design by Paul Connolly.

Update: Air Laptop: Inside the World of Experimental Electronic Music by Chris Becker for CultureMap Houston

Saturday, January 21, at Houston's SuperHappyFunLand, I'll be performing on a bill with some of Houston's finest experimental electronic musicians, including Cyclea, LIMB, Josiah Gabriel, Carlos Pozo, BrightBlueBeetle, and Pulse Rifle. For my set, I will team up with Spike the Percussionist aka Astrogenic Hallucinating. 9pm is the start time. Cover is only $7. SuperHappyFunLand is one of my favorite venues here in Houston, it's one of those places that has to be seen to be believed.

Jonathan Jindra, who curated this show and will play as Cyclea, is one of the first musicians I met when I relocated to Houston. I had no idea there were so many musicians in the city playing electronic music in about any hybrid one can imagine. In retrospect, it makes total sense, as this is town has always been very savvy when it comes to technology. The scene itself is very healthy and varied, embracing musical input from players from the classical, jazz, and rock worlds, as well as input from visual artists and dancers. It's also very underground, with PR done via social media.

After hearing Spike live, as well material he's posted on MySpace, I am certain that ours will be a good match.

Come out and experience yet another strain of H-Town's music and noise makers.

No comments: